working on my recent model engineering project I had reached the point
where I needed to produce patterns for the foundry, a total of 6
patterns. I had done patters previously (74 patterns for the 1/2 scale
Russell) in the traditional fashion, made from wood and highly
finished. Although traditional pattern-making can be satisfying, it is
also demanding and time-consuming so when someone mentioned making
patterns by 3D printing, my interest was piqued, particularly since I
already had 2D CAD (Computer Aided Design) drawings on the computer, I
began researching 3D drafting programs and 3D printing.
cost-effective 3D drafting programs and basic 3D printers were within
my price range so I spent a few weeks learning 3D drafting and ordered
a 3D printer kit known as a RepRap style printer.
printer kit arrived on a Monday and was assembled and calibrated by
the following Wednesday and in the four days 9 patterns were printed
for the Coalbrookdale locomotive. Since the investment casting process
will be used, the originals are lost in the process so 1 Pattern is
required for each part to be cast.
completing the patterns I decided to rewire the printer to clean up the
rat's nest and make the printer ready for an enclsure.
More will be added as more printing is done.
Return to my Personal Home Page